The training in singing to sing in a chorus, is not only an exercise of external listening and of the voice; it is also a training for interior listening with the heart, and exercise in training for life and peace. – Pope Benedict XVI
The Parish Choir at St. John’s sings at the 11am Sunday Eucharist and major feast days September though June. Our repertoire includes Gregorian chant, Renaissance polyphony, American spirituals, and traditional and contemporary anthems and hymns. Highlights of the season include the Prelude Concert (9:30pm) to the 10:00pm Christmas Eve Eucharist, Christmas Morning Eucharist, and our participation in the Easter Triduum.
Choir members commit to regular Sunday morning rehearsals at 10:00am as well as extraordinary rehearsals prior to Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter Triduum, and other special occasions. The choir is open to new singers at any time.
First Sunday CHOIR
FIRST SUNDAY CHOIR meets, as the name suggests, on the first Sunday of every month from October to June at 10:00am to prepare a special choral piece(s) to be sung that same day at the 11am Mass. Children, grownups, families are encouraged to gather with other singers in the Music Office downstairs to learn an anthem (song) to be sung at Mass. No prior music/singing experience is necessary and there are no auditions. Children under 12 must bring a singing adult with them!! We’ll have a good time together learning about healthful vocal technique, music theory basics as we sing some very accessible, enjoyable music. This is the perfect opportunity for anyone who wants to participate in choir singing but cannot commit to a regular, weekly rehearsal schedule.
Please see the Upcoming Choir Events to the right for the planned songs (anthems) for upcoming First Sunday Choir dates.
The following few principles are designed to help us work together as a choir:
- Regular and punctual attendance at rehearsals and liturgies is vital to the success of the choir.
- Rehearsals start and end on time unless otherwise announced.
- On Sunday mornings, please plan to arrive 10-15 minutes early to collect music and get settled.
- If you cannot attend a rehearsal or liturgy, please give notice in advance when possible.
- Please have a sharp pencil, a bottle of water is also a good idea.
- Please avoid wearing perfumes, after shaves, heavily scented creams.
- Dress is usually casual, but nice. Let comfort be your guide. “Sunday best” always works.
- Quiet shoes are requested (rubber or soft-soled.)
- For special events, the choir will be asked to wear something special i.e. jewel toned tops with black bottoms.