The specific work of the Service Commission is to be a catalyst for Christ’s call to serve, that it be continually heard and responded to in all aspects of parish life.
- By embracing the Parish’s overall mission,
- By supporting Parish ministries,
- By identifying ongoing responses to human needs both within and beyond the Parish community,
- By providing encouragement and assistance as needed to those engaged in service,
- By helping the Parish to develop and support its own leadership in service ministry.
Through these efforts, the Service Commission is a vehicle to enhance the Parish’s desire to be Christ to the world around us.
St. John currently offers more than 12 service and outreach programs organized into five areas. Each area is led by Program Coordinators who help facilitate participation, development, and communication for the individual programs.
Homeless and Feed the Hungry
Sandwich Collection for Bristol Lodge – So Others May Eat (S.O.M.E.)
Food Pantry Collection for St. Katherine Drexel
Men’s Clothing Drive for St. Francis House
Coat Drive for Coats for Kids
Thanksgiving Dinner at Bristol Lodge
Visitation and Outreach
Nursing Home Visitation
Pregnancy Help Boston
Advent, Christmas and Lent
Parish Lenten Gift
How to Get INVOLVED
There are opportunities for volunteers to help on a monthly, annual or sporadic basis in a wide variety of roles. If you are ready to volunteer for a particular program or program area, or if you would like to speak with one of our Program Coordinators to learn more about how you can be of service, please fill out our Volunteer Sign-Up/Info Request form and we will be in touch!